Back

A lot more about Meteorological Institute's history on Jan Mayen can be read at http://home.online.no/~vteigen/ (partly in Norwegian). 

Jan Mayen - Meteorological station - History

The Norwegian Meteorological Institute has been observing the weather on Jan Mayen since 1921. Back then the station (which is now called Eldstemetten or "The Oldest Met") was located in the Jameson bay, east of Eggøya. This station was burnt down and evacuated when the war started, but people was back already the following year to resume the measurements.

Photo:  C.W.Stjern

Last update 09-12-2006
Photo:Jan Mayen met crew   ©


"Gamlemetten", the second met station, located at the west side of Jan Mayen, north of the lake Nordlaguna (1949-1960)

"Eldstemetten", the first met station, located at the east side of Jan Mayen. The Egg Island in background (1921-1940)

"Metten", today's met station,
(1960 - present)

Photo: O.T.Eriksen
Later a new station (now called Gamlemetten or "The Old Met") was built on what was later to be called the Liberg plain, after young Aksel Liberg who in 1950 died some 100 meters from the house when performing a weather observation in severe storm. Gamlemetten was used until 1962, when Olonkin City was rised to house the LORAN workers. A new meteorological station was then built 3 kilometres north of Olonkin, and this is what Jan Mayeners today refer to as Metten or "the Met".